BBDC-Joslin-UCPH Abstract Competition
6th BBDC- Joslin- UCPH Symposium: Bioenergetics and its Dysregulation in Diabetes
CALL FOR ABSTRACTS and TRAVEL GRANT APPLICATIONS
The Danish Diabetes Academy (DDA) has generously agreed to provide funding to cover economy airfare and 2 nights’ accommodation for 10 trainees from the Banting & Best Diabetes Centre to attend a Training Day to be held from 11:00 am on October 23rd followed by the 6th BBDC-Joslin-UPCH Conference from October 24-26, 2019 in Boston, Massachusetts. ** Please note that a third night of accommodation and ground transportation will not be covered by the DDA. Please check with your supervisor to determine whether they are willing to reimburse you those additional expenses. Post-doctoral fellows and current PhD students are invited to present a first-author abstract of their diabetes-related work for presentation at the conference. Abstracts from all fields of diabetes-related research are eligible for submission. Abstracts previously presented or accepted at other diabetes related conferences within six months prior to the conference (such as the American Diabetes Association 79th Scientific Sessions or the 55th EASD annual meeting) are eligible for submission to this competition.
Members of the 6th BBDC-Joslin-UCPH Conference planning committee will review all abstracts submitted to this competition. The ten highest ranked will be offered travel grants to present a poster at the conference.
- The trainee must be either:
A) A post-doctoral fellow currently working in the laboratory of a BBDC member (and will be as of September 30, 2019). The fellow must have received a PhD within the last five years (as of the application deadline date of July 9, 2019)
B) A current PhD Student at the University of Toronto. Students must continue to be enrolled in a PhD program as of September 30, 2019
- The trainee’s supervisor must hold a faculty appointment with the University of Toronto at the level of Associate, Assistant or Full Professor.
- The trainee’s supervisor must be a registered member* of the BBDC at the time of abstract submission. (*Faculty who are new to the field of diabetes research and are not members of the BBDC can request free membership by contacting the Centre prior to submitting an abstract. For more information, please see the Membership section of this web site.
- The content of the abstract must be clearly and directly relevant to diabetes. We welcome abstracts on all diabetes-related topics.
- The trainee must be first author and must have made the major contribution to the work presented.
- The trainee’s current supervisor must be listed as one of the authors.
- Based on abstract scores and ranking, a maximum of two (2) trainees from a single lab will be selected to attend. There is no limit to the number of abstracts that may be submitted from a single lab. However, under normal circumstances, awards will be limited to two per lab.
- The work outlined in the abstract must either be unpublished data or, if published, the manuscript detailing the work must have been published within the preceding 6 months.
Abstracts will be judged by members of the 6th BBDC-Joslin-UCPH Conference Planning Committee and will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- The content of the abstract must clearly demonstrate the direct relevance of the work to diabetes.
- The abstract must be well-written
- Demonstration of novel findings with a clear significance to diabetes
- A minor component of the evaluation may be based on any other criteria that the reviewers consider relevant.
Submit an application electronically to the BBDC by the competition deadline. See the application form for complete instructions.
Applications must be received by 4:00 p.m. Tuesday, July 9, 2019. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
All applicants will be notified in August 2019 as to whether or not their abstract is one of the ten selected for poster presentation and to receive a travel reimbursement.
All posters must acknowledge the Banting & Best Diabetes Centre and include the BBDC logo.